Edmund Körner received his architectural training in Görlitz, Dresden and Berlin. Until 1911 he was head of the design department at the building construction office in Essen. There he designed the synagogue, completed in 1913, using an innovative steel-concrete construction. Today, the building is regarded as one of the most important buildings of Jewish culture in Germany. In 1911 Körner was appointed to the Darmstadt Artists’ Colony. At the Mathildenhöhe, he was the third architect alongside Albin Müller and Emanuel Josef Margold, and designed the extension of the “Dippelshof” in Traisa near Darmstadt. Körner contributed a “fashion pavilion”, a “biscuit pavilion” and a “cigarette pavilion” to the 1914 Artists’ Colony exhibition. Furthermore, he created the Ehrensaal (“hall of honour”) and the “Gartensaal” (“garden hall”) for the interior of the Exhibition Hall designed by Olbrich.