After having received training in carpentry and furniture design, Albin Müller studied at the Kunstgewerbeschulen (“schools of applied arts”)in Mainz and Dresden. From 1900 to 1906 he taught “Raumkunst” and the theory of architectural forms at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Magdeburg. With his furniture designs, he celebrated international success for instance, at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904. Two years later, Müller became a member of the Darmstadt Artists’ Colony, where, after the death of Joseph Maria Olbrich in 1908, he was given a leading position. The “Miethäusergruppe” (“group of tenement houses”), which he designed and partly furnished with model facilities, was his main contribution to the last exhibition of the Artists’ Colony in 1914. Among the buildings created by Müller and preserved at the Mathildenhöhe, are the water basin in front of the Russian Chapel, the ceramic Garden Pavilion (“swan temple”) and the mosaic niche on the eastern side of the Exhibition Hall.